Wednesday, May 4, 2011

By faith...

I've been thinking about some things my fiance said this morning about faith. He read Hebrews 11 (the "faith chapter") and found it really encouraging and inspiring because there are so many examples in there of people who had faith in God in hard times when they couldn't see what lay ahead. God calls us to have faith in Him - to trust in Him when we don't understand why He is allowing things to happen the way they are, and to choose to obey Him even when we can't foresee or are anxious about the consequences of that obedience. He calls us to lay aside fear and instead live by faith (the two don't dwell together very comfortable, in my experience).

In return, He gives us these assurances (among others; these are the two we talked about): that He will reward those who seek Him and that He is not ashamed to be our God. The first gives me confidence that I can leave my future in His hands and focus on following and knowing Him rather than on making sure my life is and will remain comfortable and well planned-out. The second gives me incredible joy! When we come to Him in faith, even though all our insecurities and flaws and sins trail along with us, He will not turn us away or hide His face from us. He loves us! He is not ashamed to call us His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment