Thursday, October 27, 2011

Living boldly

Is it a compliment for my agnostic friend to tells me that I seem very open-minded? I'm sure he meant it as a compliment, so I suppose a better question to ask would be: is that a description that I should be seeking to earn or happy to win?

In conversations about religion I tend to give other people a chance to talk, and laugh at their jokes instead of nitpicking the theology underlying them, and do my best to respect their views and listen to what they have to say. I don't talk too much myself, partly because I don't usually talk much except with people who are very close to me, and partly because I feel that what I believe could be so easily misunderstood and I don't want to give the wrong impression. But maybe by simply not frequently airing my own personal beliefs I have done exactly that, and given the wrong impression I feared so much.

If by open-minded all that is meant is that I respect other people's opinions and don't judge or hate them because they believe what I think is false, then I am glad if it is true of me! On the other hand, if the word implies that I don't hold to a firm belief myself, or that I think all beliefs are equally valid and true, then it cuts me to the heart that I could be described that way. I am worried that my witness is hidden by my desire to be liked and to fit in - above all, to not be stereotyped with all the derogatory labels that have been given to Christians (some deservingly, some not so much).

For me, it is a wake-up call to live more boldly in my faith: to be more forthcoming with what I believe to be true and important and good, to consistently be in all places the passionate follower of Christ that I long to be, and (while still respecting others) to stand up for my beliefs when the occasion arises. I believe in God, do I not? So I can and should learn to live that belief more openly.

3 comments:

  1. I believe what most people currently view as "open-mindedness" is the willingness to hear and discuss many points of view as if they all have validity. Of course, they all may not, but it is an individual's willingness to hear other ideas that is refreshing, especially given how many Christians are portrayed. I generally find that hearing another person's opinions helps me to understand that person better and therefore reach out to them better, relationally. It also tends to solidify the things I know to be true.

    I would assume, given no context, that your agnostic friend was simply trying to express how comfortable he/she felt around you with opinions he/she knew were different from your own. And I would say that is a very good thing. For your friend is a child of God as well, and you showing him/her love is a glimpse at God's love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with what you have to say :) The only reason for my dilemma about it did come from the context of the situation (he was trying to guess what religion I believed in, and thought I was Christian except that I had seemed so open-minded during one of our previous conversations). I was thinking that if it was a reason for someone to doubt my Christianity than it might be a bit more serious than just the willingness to hear and discuss different points of view as you described above, and might be a reason for me to examine the way I conducted myself in those kinds of conversations.
    Thank you very much for the encouragement though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right. It is a goal to convey our Christianity (our salvation through Christ, mind you) in our daily lives. I want to remind you, lovingly (since you sometimes take things very much to heart), that some people overlook the obvious, or have not been exposed to many Christians, or so many other factors that influence their views. Just so you don't come away thinking that because your one new friend is not convicted that you are a beloved of Christ does not mean that you do not witness it daily.

    Not to say that you are wrong. I think we can all work a little harder to show His love. You always give me good things to think about.

    ReplyDelete