Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The idea of significance in vocation

One of my strongest desires is to do something really significant for God with my life - to have a career that truly makes a difference in the world, to live a life that touches more people than just the few (mostly white) suburban Americans I interact with now, to leave a legacy of love and mission for God that people will remember. But then I look at myself, and at the skills and talents that I have, and the chances of ever fulfilling this desire seem rather small. I mean, I really don't have much talent at things like interacting with people or deepening and maintaining friendships or beginning relationships that could be more than just superficial. I'm not skilled at preaching or teaching (except for young children because they don't intimidate me quite as much). I will willingly give time and energy to make you food if you need it, or invite you over to my house if you need someone to talk to or a place to stay, or even visit you and try to serve you if you're sick and need some help, but I can't guarantee that I'll do any of that well! So a career that revolves around personal interactions, like a career in ministry or foreign missions, would be extremely hard for me and I don't think I'd be doing it very well. On top of that, I'd be ignoring a lot of the talents that God did give me.

When I look at the things that interest me and that I'm good at, however, I feel a bit dejected. I find so much pleasure in programming and science (especially biology); I can stay focused on and remember details and can enjoy even tedious work if I have to concentrate while I do it; I have a great memory; I am quite good at problem-solving; and so on. Academically, God has given me some talent - more there than just about anywhere else, anyway :P But the careers that hold the most appeal for me - research, molecular biology, bioinformatics, etc. - seem to be so lacking in the significance factor. What kind of eternal impact can I be making if my job involves sitting at a computer analyzing data and modeling proteins? If this is the vocation God's designed me for, why is it so inferior to those other ones that I desire, that make a visible difference in the world and for eternity?

Today I found a very thought-provoking article about the concepts of vocation and radical Christianity. Does being a radical Christian - being sold out for God and seeking to follow Him wholeheartedly - mean that we have to be in some sort of missions, ministry, or service-oriented career? Maybe different vocations, regardless of how significant they seem, are all on the same level because they are all established and called by God. Or maybe what matters isn't finding the most important vocation and getting into it, but finding the vocation to which God has called you, and pursuing that. Hmm, more for me to think about, and definitely more encouraging thoughts this time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment