Friday, January 20, 2012

In the beauty of holiness

"O, worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness!" - Ps. 96:9a

What makes our worship beautiful in the eyes of God? From this verse, I would say that it is our holiness before Him that fills our praises and sacrifices with beauty.

But I am not holy, I cry! Do You not see the petty selfishness in my heart, the irritation over trivial inconveniences, the all-too-ready sharpened words of anger, or the idleness with which I can approach my responsibilities? How can I ever hope to come before You, my God, with worship that is genuinely beautiful, that is not torn and stained by my unholiness?

Come to Me in My grace, He replies, in the soft whisper of love. Don't you remember, My child, that you are in My Son and He is in you? When I look at you, I see His righteousness; in Him, you are holy and blameless in truth and in love. Do not be afraid! And do not come in your own strength, dressed in the rags of your own righteousness - come clothed in the righteousness of My Son, which He freely gave to you. You are holy in Him, and in Him you are beautiful and your worship is beautiful to Me. I am Your God, and I have made You beautiful with the beauty of holiness!

"O come, let us worship and bow down;
Let us kneel before the Lord our Maker.
For He is our God,
And we are the people of His pasture,
And the sheep of His hand." - Psalm 95:6-7


No comments:

Post a Comment