Monday, September 19, 2011

Jesus, lover of my soul

I made the acquaintance of a lovely old hymn this Sunday, and was planning to post a stanza or so here to show you the beauty and power of its words (unfortunately, it's harder for me to show you on a blog the beauty of its music, which is exceedingly great). But each time I read through the lyrics, I find another line that jumps out at me. The last two lines of the fourth verse leading into the fifth verse are probably my favorite right now, though:

"Just and holy is Thy Name, I am all unrighteousness;
False and full of sin I am; Thou art full of truth and grace.

Plenteous grace with Thee is found, grace to cover all my sin;
Let the healing streams abound; make and keep me pure within.
Thou of life the fountain art, freely let me take of Thee;
Spring Thou up within my heart; rise to all eternity."

It is so wonderful to know that although we are sinners, "all unrighteousness", there is in Christ grace enough to cover all that sin - and not only to merely cover it, but also to genuinely transform us within, to truly make us pure. And He lets us partake of that marvelous grace and life so freely! Praise His name!

No comments:

Post a Comment