Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Complaining in the face of His goodness

"Bless the Lord, O my soul,
And forget not all His benefits:
Who forgives all your iniquities,
Who heals all your diseases,
Who redeems your life from destruction,
Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies,
Who satisfies your mouth with good things,
So that your youth is renewed like the eagle's." - Psalm 103:2-5

I tend to complain a lot sometimes. Even the smallest thing, like forgetting the envelope for a birthday card or not getting a left turn arrow on my drive home, can make me irritated or cause me to feel like a failure (depending on whether or not I feel like the problem should have been within my control). I don't keep the blessings of God in my perspective, and so all those countless little things that happen every day appear to be of gargantuan proportions. Honestly, it can be quite overwhelming!

But here I am reminded of all the amazing things that God is doing for me faithfully and constantly, through all the little ups and downs of life. I may sin, and sin is bad and hurts me and the other people involved - but it is not the end of the world because God is forgiving my sins. I may feel like a broken failure of a person, spiritually and relationally and emotionally, but I can put my hope in God who will heal and transform me. I may think that everything in my life is going wrong and know that I am powerless to pull everything back together into order and goodness, but I can trust in God who has before and always will redeem me from the destruction that lays in wait for my life. In the midst of all the struggles and sorrows and hardships of life - however trivial or however significant - I can remember that God freely pours out on me His great love and kindness and mercy, and delights to refresh and renew me even as I walk weary and burdened through the dark valley. With such a God, there is no reason for me to complain, and every reason for me to live each day with thanksgiving and joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment